Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Off the Beaten Path at the NCRS

So as if I haven't said enough about our Research Field Days, our crack video crew from Creative Services sent me a "teaser" of a piece they made last week from one of the tours.  Watch it if you dare, but it is me talking about research tour stuff.  (Click on it and then click to go to the link.  It's on You Tube.)

In other news, last week in the morning before one of the tours started, I was on the back side of Farm 8 where we planted some cover crops after wheat harvest.  I had not been back there since planting and drove over to take a look.  Below are some of the oilseed radishes that we planted.  We also planted some strips of field peas.  They look pretty nice in this picture.  But in other parts of the field it is hard to look at all of the volunteer wheat growing.  But that's cover as well I guess.
Here is a picture of the back of the orchard from the wheat stubble on Farm 8.  It looks pretty cool with all of the wood structures holding the wires.  But in a few years you will better see all the trees.
So that is it for now.  I am on another fertilizer mission in parts unknown for now.  I suspect good things to report.