Wednesday, October 25, 2017

"Equivalence" Explained

So I needed to get some new light bubs.  (When I was in high school I worked at the OSU health center as an apprentice surgeon.  Ok, as a janitor.  The older lady who was my boss pronounced light bulbs as light "bubs".  So 44 years later, I still call them that in tribute.)  For several years now they  have sold the low energy LED bubs that produce light that is as bright as the older bulbs with higher wattage.  So I noticed the label as saying that this low energy bub with 6.5 actual watts produces light that is "60 watt equivalent."  Hmmm.  Now where else have I heard this "equivalence" explanation used?  Oh yes!  As an explanation of AgroLiquid's unique carbon-based formulations being used at lower rates than conventional fertilizers, due to the lower rates being "equivalent" in performance to the higher rates, due to new technology.  Now consumers like me believe the light bub "equivalence" because we see it work.  So maybe AgroLiquid Retail Partners should carry around some light bubs to explain this "equivalence" concept to doubting growers.  (Note: this occurred to me as a light bub went off over my head, like in the cartoons.) 
In other news, it has been a wet start of the week.  It rained all day Monday and Tuesday.  I live South of the NCRS, and had 3.4" of rain in two days.  And this was after 3.2" on October 15.  So the combine is inside for the time being.  The goal of being finished with NCRS harvest by Halloween is getting to be a challenge now.  Scary. 
But the delay gives us a chance to get some experiments summarized and to prepare for who knows what.