Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wheat Plot Harvest is Complete

So after hopping off the last plane on my trip back from Louisiana on Friday, I raced to the NCRS so that I could be around for the completion of winter wheat plot harvest. It was my lucky day that they weren't finished. Doug was in the combine drivers seat that day.
Stephanie was at her usual spot as plot weight recorder up in the grain cart. I rode along to document the operation and get caught up on company gossip while I was gone. Here we see the wheat from a plot being dumped for weighing.
Stephanie collects a wheat sample for moisture determination and test weight.

It has really been dry this month. No rain. It's Friday, so time to turn on the irrigation again.

And here it is, the last plot strip.

And that's that. Put the combine away till soybean harvest in a few months.