Monday, October 28, 2013

More Big Hairy Wheat Roots

So after my previous day in Oklahoma looking at crops, mostly wheat, I met up with another Area sales manager, Ed Grainger, down by Gracemont.  Ed has been using and selling AgroLiquid for a long time.  We went out to see one of his fields of recently planted winter wheat, and I asked him to take that shovel and put her to some good use. You didn't think I was going to do it did you?  Who would take pictures?
As expected, again we already see a well-developed early root system that will support good wheat growth into next year.  Ed's program is similar to that of Parker: 4 gal/A of Pro-Germinator + 1 qt/A of Micro 500 + 3.75 gal/A of High NRG-N for a total of 8 gal/A.  Sometimes he will adjust the rates one way or the other based on soil test, but this gives the developing plant a good dose of usable phosphate and nitrogen.  Plus the all-important micronutrients.  But I feel that 4 gal/A of Pro-Germinator is a good rate for winter wheat here.
We felt that we weren't actually getting all of the young roots as we dug, since there were always some broken pieces in the soil on the ground after we pulled out the plants.  So this time I had Ed hold the shovel still after another dig.  Look at all of the roots now!  I believe my work here is done.
Here is that same field from the other side, now with the sun at my back.  Look at the good dark green color.  And this has been in wheat for several years. 
Not too far away was a big harvest operation going on.  Do you know what this crop is?  Well it's sweet potatoes.  I guess I never knew where they grew sweet potatoes, but this is a fairly new operation in the very sandy ground near Ft. Cobb.  I used to do weed control test plots in peanuts not too far from here as a student researcher back in the day.  (That day being the late 1970's)  Anyway, they had used some Sure-K earlier and hopefully would be up for trying some more Liquid in the future.  We will see when they are not so busy.  Sweet potatoes in Oklahoma.  Go figure.  Makes for a nice and needed rotation crop. 
And here's another even more unusual crop that I saw the other day near Hinton.  Know what this is?  Hopefully you never find out the hard way, but this is a crop of peppers that are used in making pepper spray.  I was told that the workers in the processing plant wear protective suits, like Haz Mat suits.  This was close enough for me.  I made sure the wind was at my back.  Not sure who the grower is, but I would imagine the fertility needs are similar to other peppers.  And Liquid works wonders there.
So as with most of my travels throughout the Land of Liquid, this was an informative and pleasurable trip.  And hopefully there will be even more new crop market penetration next time.