Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Loving Louisiana in March

So after the past couple of weeks in North Dakota (twice) and Montana, along with the ongoing winter of Michigan, it was time to head to a warmer climate. So why not Louisiana? Anyone care to guess what crop is growing in the field where I stand? I'm holding a remnant of the harvest from last year....anyone? anyone? OK, here is Sales Account Manager Reid tasting the sweet juice that still remains in the stalk. (I told him it was safe to do that, and he is still around.) Yes, this is sugarcane, and we are just south of Lafayette. What we have here is what's called a "stubble crop" that is re-growing following harvest of the above ground stalks last fall. The residue is burned to clear the way for this regrowth. I don't think they burn the leaves before harvest here as they do in some places, but I will find out. I really don't know all the details about the cultivation of sugarcane. I have seen fields of sugarcane with Liquid fertilizer in Hawaii and South Texas though. But tomorrow we have an appointment to visit with a researcher here in Louisiana about some potential plotwork.
Earlier in the day Reid, myself and Senior Agronomy Manager Cory met with a new Area Manager in Crowley. Cory gave a presentation to their agronomists covering product information. It seemed to go well and we will look for more Liquid development there in the future.

I love Tabasco Sauce, and after the meeting Reid and I drove down to Avery Island, which isn't really an island, to the place where the famous sauce is made. But alas, it was closed. Feeling like Clark Griswold, we did leave though. Maybe some other time. If only Cory talked faster.

Reid says he likes Louisiana for three things: hunting, fishing and the food. Well on this trip I will agree with the food part. I had Cajun food for lunch (alligator and seafood gumbo) at Fezzo's and also for supper (blackened catfish on crawfish etouffee) at Randols. I have to say that this is so much better than the native food of Michigan (whatever that is.)

And this close to Mardis Gras there was a cajun band there for your dining and dancing pleasure. Reid and I couldn't agree on who should lead, so we didn't dance. But they were a great band to sit and listen to.
So I hope to re-visit down here, probably in the summer when it is 200 degrees. But for now, it was a great visit, and we actually did get a lot of Liquid work done.