Sunday, August 27, 2017

Farm to Fork 5K at the NCRS

So Saturday morning was the Fourth Annual Farm to Fork 5K race at the NCRS.  The NCRS sure has been a busy place lately.  Here is what my Flex thermometer read when I got there.  I know Michigan is way up North, but 40 degrees is too cold for August no matter where you are.  
 Once the sun came up it warmed up fine.  Farm Guy was out greeting the runners as they showed up.  Wonder if he will run this year?
At 8 sharp, the race started.  I guess Farm Guy will be a watcher this year.  Me too, although like usual, I will be watching in the rear view mirror.  I was driving the lead Gator, so they had to follow me.  I'm glad I didn't get lost, but just follow the white line.
 And for the third time out of four years, the champion is Eric Lowe.  I always say that Eric wins because he used to work at the NCRS years ago in the summer while in high school and college.  I still remember that he would ride to work in the morning with his brother, and then run several miles home after work.  He works in accounting in Grand Rapids now, but trains and peaks for this race each year.  Pretty good time too.
 A short time later Nick rounds the corner for home.  He was going so fast the picture is blurry.
And there goes Erin from Accounting.  She has to stay in shape to manage all of the fertilizer accounts.  So you'll know your account is racer verified.
Obviously not in contention for a top finish are Todd and John, who are enjoying the scenic walk.  Although I think John is trying to remember where he parked his semi-truck.
Bringing up the rear are Tracy and some guy that looked kind of familiar.  Nice ride.
 Here is the NCRS version of Heartbreak Hill.  You can see the yellow flags for the finish line, so not too much farther.
Overall champ Eric and his trophy pose with Farm Guy and AgroLiquid CEO Troy.
It was nice for Troy to be able to be at the race this year.  For some reason you never saw Troy and Farm Guy at the same time.  Hmmm. But here they are now.  Well it was a good time and a good event.  Thanks to the runners and sponsors, over $27,000 was raised for the supported charities: the Greater Lansing Food Bank and the FFA Foundation for scholarships.  Did you know Troy is President of the Board of Directors of the FFA Foundation.  So he is pleased with the outcome for sure.