Friday, April 19, 2013

Kentucky Trip Aftermath

So aftermath doesn't mean that I've finished my arithmetic homework.  But as I reported last time, I went down to Hopkinsville, KY on Tuesday to help establish some fertilizer research plots on the Security Seed research farm.  Security Seed and Chemical (SSC) is an Area Manager with outlets in Kentucky, Tennesee and Indiana. Last time I indicated that it rained Tuesday night and was hopeful for planting later on Wednesday afternoon.  But alas, it was still wet.  The plot area is in the picture below.  It is to be in no-till, and it was still wet enough that the furrows wouldn't close well and we didn't want to have side-wall compaction, so best to wait.    
Here we see Sales Account Manager Jourdan and SSC Research Director Patrick taking some time to cuss and discuss the situation.  Well there was more cussing as there was heavy rain Thursday.  But I had already headed for Michigan late Wednesday afternoon.  I left the mixing recipes, so it will be in good hands whenever it finally goes in.  Actually, Jourday worked for a time for SSC at this very farm, and lives close by to lend assistance as needed.
But that morning Jourdan and I went and made some farm calls to answer questions about AgroLiquid fertilizers and how to use them.  It was fun.  A little ways East of Hopkinsville by the town of Fairview was this big monument that you could see from the highway.  There was a sign saying it was the Jefferson Davis State Historic site.  So naturally I made Jourdan turn in for a closer look.
Now Jourdan said he had driven by this for years, but had never gone in.  Well that was to change.  My job is to educate. So I found out that this was built in tribute to Jefferson Davis, the only president of the Confederate States of America.  He was born here in 1808.  Prior to the Civil War, he had moved to Mississippi and was involved in politics there, was a US Representative and Senator, and was even the Secretary of War under Franklin Pierce.  And he was selected to be president of the CSA.  After the war he was imprisoned for 2 years and was to be tried for treason, but was let go instead.  He returned to this area on occasion and died in 1889.  Well people thought there should be a monument and started this in 1917, stopping for World War I, and it opened in 1924.  It is 351 feet tall, and is the fourth tallest monument in the US (behind the Gateway Arch, San Jacinto Monument and the Washington Monument).  It is made from poured concrete, not blocks.  There is no steel reinforcement.  As one pour was completed, large chunks of limestone were left projecting up to connect it to the next pour.  So it is still the tallest concrete oblelisk in the world. And probably always will be since it is unlikely that a monument would be built this way now.  So it seems kind of risky to go up to the top of this unreinforced monument.  But there are windows at the top, so the view would be worth the risk.  Jourdan and I wanted to race up the stairs to the top.
Well it was locked up.  We thought maybe it was because it was the lunch hour, but I found out later that it doesn't open until May 1.  And there is an elevator, so no stair race.  I would probably have to be drugged to get into a 1924 elevator, probably really small, and riding to the top of a 351 ft tall unreinforced monument.  But again, the view is probably spectacular.  So I will practice riding elevators until I return.
I drove through rain again from Northern Indiana till I got home late afternoon yesterday.  And it rained most of the night.  Ditches and fields are all flooded around here.  Crazy weather in a lot of places.  But we are advised to be patient.  I should practice that too.